Y'ALL. I am so picky when it comes to sweets. I am so not a chocolate person in case you didn't notice. This coffee cake is just everything. Typically made with walnuts, and don't get me wrong, walnuts are DELISH, but I like to use almonds. Okay, to be honest its mostly because I always have roasted & salted almonds on hand. Give it a try! They have a bit more crunch than walnuts, with a slightly different flavor. Let me know if you changed anything. I love input and food makes everyone happy. Especially, cake!
Funny note: salt is pictured. No salt is needed.
3/4 room temperature butter (a stick and a half)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp maple sugar *or vanilla extract*
1 cup sour cream, I use light to make the batter fluffier
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts *almonds, walnuts, pecans will all do*
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Pour the flour mixture into batter, alternating with the sour cream. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in nuts *almonds*, lightly until they're evenly combined. Pour half the mix into the greased bundt pan.
- Separately, mix the remaining 1/4 cup of white sugar with the cinnamon. WA-LLLLA. Cinnamon sugar!
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the batter in the pan, you can be generous with it, if you want.... carefully drop the remaining batter over the filling, cover it and spread it as evenly as you can.
- Bake in preheated over for approximately 45-55 minutes. Use a knife or toothpick to press in the thickest part, ii it comes out clean, its done!
To make a Brown Butter Glaze:
- heat 1/2 stick butter over medium heat, whisking constantly
- when butter starts to brown (about 6-7 mins on medium heat) remove from burner and place in a cool bowl.
- continue to stir, and add 1 cup powdered sugar & 1 tbsp maple syrup
-stir until its smooth like velvet, no lumps is the goal!
Done and delicious, enjoy!
I would love to hear if you try it! Leave any feedback below in the comments. Happy October!
We love food. Who doesnt? Ash loves to cook, and Lex loves to bake. Perfect duo right? Dinner. Desert. Wine. DONE.